Monday, January 4, 2010

Socializing your Toddler – At what cost?

Since I stay home with piper, and the only socialization she gets with the rest of the world is family and the occasional other toddler up the street, I have been looking into play dates. There are groups of stay at home dads (SHAD’S) out there that meet once a week and have play dates. Play dates are held at a group members house and this is on a rotating basis. These SHAD Groups also organize DNO (Dads Night Out) and plan other various outings. At first glance I thought WOW…this is cool! Not only would Piper be able to socialize with other little kids, but I would also be able get to meet some new people and hang out. Sounds like a Win-Win situation.

But after taking some time to think about it, I don’t think this Daddy Play Group Thing is for Piper and I. Anybody who knows me probably already knows why it would not be a good fit! Think about it…Almost every Stay at Home Dad I have met, is a total Dipshit! Most of the new dads with kids Pipers age are the laid off super geeks or middle management douche’ bags with no social skills. They are the dads that insisted on taking Lamaze class, and bought hundreds of books on how to raise kids…they subscribe to all sorts of parenting magazines and treat their kids like breakable little porcelain dolls. They talk down to their kids in that stupid little baby voice and think it’s cute. I can spot them a mile away…wearing their designer jeans, dress shoes, pink polo button up shirt, Eddie Bauer glasses and fossil watch. Toting some gay ass diaper bag that the wife picked out. Don’t forget the double chi latté’ from Starbucks, and the newest cell phone on the market.

What would we talk about? I don’t want to talk about how to raise my kid, or new articles on getting your kid to clean up after they are done playing. I don’t want to pretend to be the best dad and back it up by being up on all the new child rearing techniques. I just want to let my kiddo play with some other kids, and hang out with grownups and have fun!

So maybe I should start my own group. Comprised of men and women my age who just want to have some fun while the kids play. I’ll have to work on that idea some more. Maybe we’ll have it in the afternoons, and we could have a Happy Hour! Drinks and horderves laced with lots of embellished stories and laughter. That’s my type of playgroup! Hump Day Happy Hour Play Group! Who wants to join – who is ready for a Drink?

2 comments:

  1. We'll be there in June!
    Sign up my husband!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You right you won't fit in, I wouldn't fit in. Hey I have an idea how about you and my sis have another kid for Piper to play with? I love my idea!!

    ReplyDelete