Monday, January 25, 2010

Monday – Not so Terrible Two’s

…I have heard about the terrible Two’s, and how our little loving innocent babies can turn into menacing temper tantrum throwing creatures. I am not naïve enough to dismiss millions of other peoples’ first hand accounts, so I have been bracing myself for that DAY when my life becomes more challenging. IT came upon me about 2 weeks ago…

…Now, its only been 2 weeks – and I AM sure I will see different angles to this behavior, But what if I told you that our toddlers unruly behavior is our FAULT?

Piper is 496 days old, and everyday brings about a new adventure of learning and mental growth. In the last month piper has not only leveled up in motor skills, but also in her mental capacity, and extreme hunger for knowledge and understanding. She is at a crucial stage where she is learning to putt pieces of the puzzle together, and attempting to understand how things are connected on deeper levels. In doing so, she needs help…and she relies on us to be there for her. WOW, it took me a minute to realize the magnitude of this.

This is their first major experience of reaching out and asking for help…this time is crucial, and possibly one of the most important building blocks that help shape a vital part of their character and confidence, and of course the cornerstone in your relationship. Be there for them, support them, and they will blossom. Fail them, and it can stunt their growth! - or worse yet…help shape their character to be one that is unsure of themselves, untrusting of others, incapable of finding the quiet that allows us to be happy as we get older.


The tantrums are a direct reflection of our inability as parents to provide our children with the understanding and support they require. The little ones get frustrated because they are not getting the answers or results they are seeking for. Piper would walk around calling every piece of fruit “Apple?!”…not because she could not tell the difference, but because she had no clue what to call the other delicious items in the fruit basket.

It is my job to educate her…practice with her. Piper would get frustrated at not being able to do something, although she knew that it was well with in her ability to do it…it is my job to assist her, and show her how to do things, let her fail with confidence, and let her experience the joy in success.

It is my job to teach her not to quit after failing to do a summer sault the first 50 attempts, as it is my job to reward her with a 2 minute long standing ovation after stubbornly finding success at something that once seemed impossible.

There are going to be many stages in Pipers’ life that will be trying, but I believe that none of them will be terrible, and the time we invest now, will make each future stage a little easier. There are hundreds of thousands of puzzle pieces with endless combinations, that need to be carefully arranged to reveal the final image and complete the journey. We are starting at the edges and only time, love, and commitment will tell if we on the right path. I think we are, and I will be coming back to this subject over the life of this blog. Any comments, stories, ideas, and ideals are welcome…this forum is open to all comments…I only ask that a level of respect be maintained… each parent has to follow their own path and it is not our place to judge or invalidate actions of others…godspeed Mr. Milfians!

5 comments:

  1. well said Mr. Jackson...parents following their path...not our place to judge or invalidate the actions of others.......so true!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Did you hear? It's not the terrible two's, it's the terrible three's. Just you wait...

    ReplyDelete
  3. @ Karina...yeah, i hear its the terrible 2's, 3's, frustrating 4's, and the list goes on...lol By the way, You just wait...you can't hold out on having little ones much longer!
    p.s. Trisha is gonna smoke you guys in the Guac-off...good luck grasshopper!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I really liked this one Chris. I can't agree with you more. I love doing things with my girls and can see the diference in my kids compared to kids who don't have parents that interact with them as much. I want the best for my kids and try to teach them acordingly. my hope is that they will far surpass anything i have or will ever acomplish ---leo

    ReplyDelete
  5. @ Leo...it is crazy how you, me, and all the other Hess O.G kids share the same core principals and ideals. it must say something about our parents and the environment we grew up in. godspeed brother

    ReplyDelete